MDT Freight Car Brown

Nelson Moyer

I’m ready to paint a wood MDT reefer originally series 19940-19999, renumbered in series 43000-43999 when converted to AB brakes. The few color photos I have of MDT reefers were taken in the orange scheme with freight car red ends and roofs, but the freight car red looks more like a freight car brown. I checked the  RPC Vol 3 freight car color mix table for Floquil, and the recommendation is 1 part D&H Caboose Red and 3 parts Southern Freight Car Brown. I can use the various conversion tables to get a close match to the Floquil colors, but I’d like to know if there is a better option.

Tru Color makes NCY Freight Car Brown, and since MDT was a subsidiary of NYC, wouldn’t they use the same boxcar color as NYC? If that’s a valid assumption, I’ll use Tru Color for the ends and roof. If not, what are modelers using today for MDT freight car brown?

Nelson Moyer