Re: MDT Freight Car Brown

ROGER HINMAN

Be careful when looking at color photos and make sure you understand the date it was taken. MDT moved to a more brownish color in the late fifties just about the time NYC boxcars were going green. For the car you want to model, it wouldn’t have lasted that long. A good color reference for the period your car would operate in is the Jack Delano wartime photos.  I have seen no evidence of any color chips used by MDT and the few stencil drawings I have refer to freight car red as you stated. To my eye it appears more red when fresh and fades to brown on more weathered cars. Even though a subsidiary, MDT created its own specifications.

Roger Hinman

On May 8, 2021, at 2:02 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I’m ready to paint a wood MDT reefer originally series 19940-19999, renumbered in series 43000-43999 when converted to AB brakes. The few color photos I have of MDT reefers were taken in the orange scheme with freight car red ends and roofs, but the freight car red looks more like a freight car brown. I checked the  RPC Vol 3 freight car color mix table for Floquil, and the recommendation is 1 part D&H Caboose Red and 3 parts Southern Freight Car Brown. I can use the various conversion tables to get a close match to the Floquil colors, but I’d like to know if there is a better option.

Tru Color makes NCY Freight Car Brown, and since MDT was a subsidiary of NYC, wouldn’t they use the same boxcar color as NYC? If that’s a valid assumption, I’ll use Tru Color for the ends and roof. If not, what are modelers using today for MDT freight car brown?

Nelson Moyer