Re: A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Charlie,

Thanks, that was my error. The corrected 'second link' is shown below...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934

Claus-

The second link to “A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934” doesn’t take you to the base page with the photo information.

I can’t place the location.   It isn’t east or west of the Wells Street station as the depot(?) clock tower is different.  Doesn’t look like the “potato yard” at Western Avenue….

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of vapeurchapelon
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 11:15 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934

>> 1934 - an image I find to be spectacular that simply transports us back more than 90 years into the past <<

For me, still less than 90 years... ;-)

Johannes

Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1954

Gesendet: Montag, 10. Mai 2021 um 16:47 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: "STMFC" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934

Hi List Members,

A busy time at the team track Chicago 1934 - an image I find to be spectacular that simply transports us back more than 90 years into the past

"Men with products on trucks and horse-drawn wagons near train at Chicago Northwestern Railroad Depot"

It is clearly wintertime - everyone is wearing their coats, even the horses!

Quite a number of things immediately jump out at me, a few of them are...

(1) Note how many businesses were still using horses to get the job done in this relatively late 1934 date

(2) Note how a few of the conveyances are positioned for side-loading, but the vast majority are positioned for diagonal loading, at maybe a 45 degree angle relative to the freight car involved. None of the vehicles has been positioned at a 90 degree angle against the freight cars - I would think this 90 degree angle would make for the easiest work, with the vehicle back loading door flush against the freight car side, but perhaps that would also entirely block the flow of all other vehicular traffic

(3) There is a building clearly marked RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY above the left end of the activity

More info can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.