Re: Accuracy Of The Official Railway Equipment Registers

Tim O'Connor

No 1960's or 1970's modeler thinks rebuilding faded away... I have literally a few thousand images
of rebuilt cars from the 1960's into the 1990's from dozens of railroads and private owners. And on my
last drive out to the St Louis RPM I drove by a large complex in southern New York (served by NS)
where hundreds of covered hoppers were being rebuilt into different sized cars. But maybe by 1948 or
so the "stock" of candidates had been depleted so much (since so few cars were built in the 1930's)
that it seemed that rebuilding had faded away.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/6/2021 9:42 AM, Andy Carlson wrote:
As Tony stated, "......rebuilding on most railroads faded away after 1948."

A notable exception was the Great Northern--whose large rebuilding programs came to be with a warp speed after the early 1950s and was following a rather lackluster rebuilding program prior to 1948. Lucky for us, these post 1948 rebuilds produced quite a few cool cars.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 11:19:37 PM PDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Ken Montero wrote:

This "rebuilding" probably was a result of federal tax laws.

It is my understanding that, during our time period, railroads were allowed to write off (deduct) the cost of "repairs" much quicker than they could depreciate new construction (whether built in-house or by someone else) for tax purposes.

True, but this changed greatly in 1948, when the IRS considerably tightened the rules on rebuilding. You will notice that those giant rebuild and refurbish programs on most railroads faded away after 1948.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts