Re: Southern #23300-23486 Boxcar Doors and Tack Boards #23300-23486

Ron Hildebrand <SteamFreight@...>

At 01:11 PM 5/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Folks,

I am posting this question for the second time to some lists. Unfortunately
I did not get any responses to the first request.

Can anyone offer a photo reference or advice on the correct door for these
cars in 1955?

The car numbers are:

23005
23168
23252
23399

And finally, what is the correct location for the door and end tack boards
for 1955? Should they be in the high or low position?
Allen ,

I posted this response to the second part of your question when you originally posed it on the SouthernModeler group in late April:
Guy Wilber replied to a similar (but generic) question on the Steam
Era Freight Cars group a couple of months ago. In essence, before
1953, placard boards were to be "not less" than 4'-6" from the floor
of a box car. Effective in March '54, that rule was changed to lower
placard boards (the larger boards) and tack boards (the smaller
boards)to be located so that the bottoms of the boards were no more
than 2'-6" above the car floor. New cars reflected that change right
away, and older cars had the changes applied as they were shopped for
Class 1 repairs.
I guess if you can find out when the cars you are modeling were
shopped, you can pretty well guess if they had their placard holders
high or low at your target date.
Hope this helps.

If you are looking for the location of the tack boards on each *specific* car on a certain date after the rule went into effect, then I guess this isn't much help, but you didn't note that after I posted the above.

Ron Hildebrand