From: Ned Carey <westernmd@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Oil Paints

Is there a reason to prefer oils to acrylics? I would have thought the
opposite.
Rob Kirkham
Oils make great washes. They are thinner and more consistent as a wash. I
find with acrylics sometimes the pigment coagulates and doesn't spread as
evenly as oils.

Oils out of the tube are thick. For example on a hopper side panel they
could be stippled on to make a rust patch that has a three dimensional
quality to it. (I have not tried this yet)

I forget which color but there is a dark oil (burnt umber?) that has a
great
old rust color. When streaked down with a soft brush and thinner, it
leaves
a lighter "rust washed downwards" color below the darker rust patch. It's
very realistic. Mike Rose and Mike Budde have both done some excellent
articles on freight car weathering using this technique.

Since oils dry much more slowly (Al Welch asks; if ever?) they are better
for dry brushing. Great for truck sideframes to bring out the detail.

Acrylics on the other hand dry much more quickly allowing one to move on
other steps without waiting. I don't think I would even bother trying
spraying oils.

In summation both are valuable for modeling depending on what effect you
want to achieve.

Ned