putty to smooth a joint between two sections of a plastic model

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

It has been a few years since I did a project that needed any putty to smooth a joint between two sections of a plastic model.

When I pulled out my favorite tube of putty (labeled "TAMIYA PUTTY BASIC TYPE") I found it had hardened up like a rock inside the tube!

Oh well, I thought. I don't like Squadron putty nearly as much, but I do have a tube already and so guess I will have to use it. I opened my tube labeled SQUADRON FAST DRYING WHITE PUTTY and it is also hardened, altho not as badly as the Tamiya putty.

Clearly I'm gonna have to buy a new tube of some kind of putty, so I'm looking for ideas regarding what other people use. Do you have a favorite? Pluses and minuses of each? Any help regarding gotchas and/or techniques? How about using automotive spot putty from a big box store - something like Bondo glazing and spot putty - does anyone use that?

Opinions...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the topic

Claus Schlund