Re: putty to smooth a joint between two sections of a plastic model

Nelson Moyer

That was my experience with baking soda as well, except that I was building RC model airplanes then and balsa is even softer than styrene.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 9:33 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] putty to smooth a joint between two sections of a plastic model

Hi Lester and List Members,

Thanks Lester for the quite comprehensive writeup.

Lester wrote: "Another old one is to fill crack with baking soda followed application of CA"

I did this once, so I only have very limited experience. I found that the resulting baking soda/CA fill material was a lot harder than the surrounding plastic, and this made it difficult to sand down a smooth surface, so I never tried that method again.

Claus Schlund