Re: M&STL Ice Deck, Marshalltown, Iowa 1940s

Robert kirkham

Great photo - could inspire a nice layout and a few good freight car modelling projects.  I note the 7/7 Murphy ends.

Rob

On May 19, 2021, at 3:40 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

This morning I did a salvage job on this somewhat dodgy photo my mother shot, probably in the 1940s when she still lived in Marshalltown, Iowa. The locomotive, M&STL 605, we may assume was the object of the photo. I hope you can forgive her for the lack of technique.

What is more significant to this group is the full view of M&STL's ice deck in the background. I've enhanced this shot about as far as I can to bring up the detail. So here is an image you can ponder. I have no information about the other buildings to the rear, but it does look like there is some sort of refractory kiln back there.

The boxcars in the middle distance appear to be similar to 28124, preserved at the Western Railway Museum in California. The enlarged door was added by the U.S. Navy, who used this particular car to shuttle ammunition (probably iron bombs) around the Concord Naval Weapons Station.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆
<MINNEAPOLIS & ST. LOUIS 605, MARSHALLTOWN-NMG1.jpg><MINNEAPOLIS & ST. LOUIS ICE DECK, MARSHALLTOWN-NMG1B.jpg><MINNEAPOLIS & ST LOUIS BOXCAR 28214-HD2.jpg>