Re: Need a photo of a CGW AC&F boxcar #22000-25798

Eric Hansmann

Those are great examples of how  lettering changed over time. Not just the roadname and emblem, but also the data.

I played around with both in Photoshop. The image of CGW 23140 is early. The car is not compliant with Safety Act Amendment equipment. Freight cars weren’t upgraded overnight, but this is an indication the car was built before 1912 at least. It’s quite a few years earlier than the 1937 file name.

In the bottom left corner, we can barely see the remains of the AIR BRAKE stencil. The Master Car Builders dropped the recommendation for that stencil in 1909. It appears this car still wears a builder badge stencil above the right truck. After repainting, these usually weren’t applied again. The weigh data presentation follows an earlier style that would be modified a few more times by the MCB, ARA, and AAR before 1930. The weigh date is fuzzy but slightly bolder than the rest of the lettering, indicating a fairly recent reweigh. After sharpening the image and adjusting levels and contrast, it seems like 12 are the last digits on the weigh stencil.

CGW 23564 has a more modern appearance. The weigh date here looks like 7-40. Note the reporting marks are on the left side of the car with the weigh data.

Attached is an image of CGW 12618 from the NPS Steamtown collection. It seems to have a 4-18 weigh stencil. While not a car in a series requested by Bob, it is another look at pre-1920 car lettering on an older car. It seems to have a build date of 1898 stenciled above the left truck. This car has been upgraded with grabs to meet the Safety Appliance Act amendment requirements.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN