Re: Photo: Hauser-Stander Tank Cars (1926)

Jack Mullen

We discussed this photo 2 or 3 years ago, Iirc. As I recall, it was assumed these cars were for salt.  To me that seems unlikely.  Why ship brine instead of shipping rock salt?  To put it another way, would you pay to ship 30 tons of water in order to ship 10 tons of salt?  My understanding is that the salt at Weeks Island was mined, not dissolved with wells.
So what else would the tank cars be for? I wonder if they were to being fresh water to the community . Any thoughts?

Jack Mullen