Re: CN 1937 boxcar handbrakes

Ed Hawkins

On May 22, 2021, at 10:58 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of an HO rendition of the universal handbrake applied to CN 1937 AAR cars in the 482715-484164 series? I prefer the correct brake wheel and housing, but could live with just a brake wheel with no appropriate housing exists.

Brian,
A builder photo of CN 483574 built 2-44 shows a Universal Type 5700 XL hand brake with M1704 wheel with slotted cut-outs in the hub. The lower-left photo on p. 46 of RP CYC Volume 10 illustrates an example.

In HO scale InterMountain produced this hand brake for the Amarillo Railroad Museum/MPHS joint-venture ART reefer project. More recently Kadee Quality Products has produced the tooling for this same hand brake, but I’m unsure of it’s current availability. Sam Clarke would know.

Hope this provides what you need.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins