The Helium Industry on the Santa Fe Railway - Tank Cars and Videos

qmp211

Greetings

Recently Frank Schultz sent the following informational links about the helium industry. The videos are very nicely done and well worth your time. The link to Jay’s handout will be found at the end of the Part 4 video. Jay’s handout has a roster, equipment usage timeline and a drawing for the 1942 U.S.N.X Helium tank car. The machine shop tour is a bonus.

Hard copies of Jay’s research material including drawings are at the Springer Archives in Temple, Texas.

Randy Danniel

"FEATURED VIDEOS – By Renaissance Man, Jay Miller.  Jay continues his outstanding professional-quality productions based on extremely well-researched history with many rare photos, his remarkable family, the AT&SF and much more.  All of these are fascinating and include a lot that I didn’t know about Helium.  (I’ve passed the Helium Museum in Amarillo many times, but never went in as I thought all it had was a bunch of antique Helium atoms floating-around or mounted on display boards.):  “

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 1 of 4 – Natural Gas to Airships

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 2 of 4 – Helium Plants

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 3 of 4 – The Helium Tank Cars

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 4 of 4 – Modeling the Helium Tank Cars (and more)

Railroad Machine Shop Tour & History of Miller Machine Works & Miller Brothers: 1885 to the Present