Re: Box car weathering question.

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan wrote:

Another way to answer your question is that the white stuff under the door opening is not typical weathering for this kind of car.  You could weather a model with all the other aspects of prototype weathering seen in this photo, and have a great and typical weathering job.

As a general rule, I try to stay away from atypical/unusual weathering on my models unless I'm trying to make a point, such as visually connecting a particular freight car to an online industry.

Very well said, Todd. My thoughts exactly.

Tony Thompson