Re: UP Livestock Car 47630D (Class Not Visible)

Kenneth Montero

Tim (and others on this list),

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?

If not, I will be glad to put together such a list if folks will let me know:
-- the prototype from which the Athearn model is patterned,
-- what are the errors (and if any of them are complete foobies - the location of air brake appliances being one of them - as opposed to the wrong appliance or feature) , and
-- if known and readily found, a source for the correct information for that prototype.
.
See attached for what I have started.

This information would be helpful for kitbashing purposes. since Athearn cars often get used for kitbashing.

Ken Montero

On 06/06/2021 10:11 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Very close to dead on right. But the major error is the MIRROR IMAGE roof ! Oops.

The *almost* dead-on right award goes to several Athearn models including the R-40-23
reefer, the 40 foot all steel box car, and a few others.

Tim O'Connor

On 6/6/2021 3:14 AM, John Sykes III via groups.io wrote:
Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right.

Sterling, Massachusetts