Re: ACR Side Construction

Bill Kelly

Find the January 1987, vol 3 number 1 issue of the UPHS magazine, _The Streamliner_. There is a very good article by Frank Peacock titled "Box and Autocar Nomenclature". This is the first publication of his term "ACR" along with many others.
Later,
Bill Kelly

Tim wrote:

Randy

ACR was a solution that arose when railroads chose to use thinner copper bearing steel side
sheets (Cor-Ten steel) that were not as rigid as the thicker conventional side sheets. The UP
obviously felt the weight savings was worth the extra cost, while some like the SP only used it
for some cars and then dropped it. (The Cor-Ten side sheets required an extra vertical stiffener.)

As for the terminology, I don't know who coined it. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 6/5/2021 11:01 AM, Randy Hammill wrote:
I don’t know the answer to that, but a I do wonder where the term ACR came from. Was it an industry term or something coined by modelers/historians?

I suppose I should go digging through CBCs when I get home.

Randy