Re: Shipping Bulk Cement - not on the RR?

Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...>

Boy, what a car to model! Talk about “weathering”! Meanwhile, the thread started I think with bags (at 94 pounds) each, loaded into boxcars, and yes in some situations construction jobs did take delivery of bag and barrel cement years ago. Those fellows (the laborers – were pretty tough I think), but, and maybe I saw in the Lee Rainey “East Broad Top” book,  there is a photo of an early LV or LNE covered hopper riding on 3 foot narrow gauge trucks during the construction of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, circa. 1940, to deliver bulk cement to an on-site batching plant. Also, I think in those times cement was maybe handled in “Link-Belt” style elevating bucket conveyors as I don’t think air handling was being used, as it is the method today. Dry Bulk tank trailers, maybe a truck person like Mont can advise on this technology. This is an interesting  rabbit hole, considering the car routing subject. Hey, maybe that Covered Hopper went via LV, to Reading, to PRR (Mt. Union) to EBT! Now that would be a cool waybill! Maybe it was even on the Catasauqua Branch too!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Edward
Sent: Sunday, June 6, 2021 3:38 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Shipping Bulk Cement - not on the RR?

[Edited Message Follows]

Here is a Lehigh Valley gondola, modified to carry bulk cement cannisters.
They were loaded and unloaded using compressed air.
They generally ran from eastern Pennsylvania to the Hudson River, where loaded cannisters were put onto barges for delivery to various locations around NY City.
From the barges, cannisters were taken by truck to construction sites (like NY World Trade Center when it was being built) and where the final mixing for concrete was done.
Empty cannisters went back by barge to the LV, for a return trip to be refilled.
The NY Central and the D&H also carried bulk cement cannisters this way.

Ed Bommer