Re: C&O 40ft steel gondola and a flat with removable milk containers - Renovo PA 1952

Schuyler Larrabee

I admit to being a bit smartass about my reply, but I do know that the reach of the milk business for consumption in NYC was very, very extensive.  Port Allegany and Eldred are admittedly a stretch, but maybe at times a source, or the “milk stations over there closer to that town” could be the origin of milk to be shipped east.

Also, not EVERY car of milk went to NYC.  I know (but cannot give you documentation now) that some milk traffic went to Phila, Penna., and some in New Jersey.

I do find that https://www.dairyfoods.com/directories/7376-dairy-plants-usa shows there are, today, 42 milk plants in Penna, and suggest that a look through the 43 plants’ locations may well suggest a location that would have been in business in the era of the photo that started all this.

https://extension.psu.edu/pennsylvania-dairy-plant-and-raw-milk-directory which would not come up the first three times I tried it, might also provide some more insight.

Schuyler