Re: C&O 40ft steel gondola and a flat with removable milk containers - Renovo PA 1952

Schuyler Larrabee

I admit to being a bit smartass about my reply, but I do know that the reach of the milk business for consumption in NYC was very, very extensive.  Port Allegany and Eldred are admittedly a stretch, but maybe at times a source, or the “milk stations over there closer to that town” could be the origin of milk to be shipped east.

Also, not EVERY car of milk went to NYC.  I know (but cannot give you documentation now) that some milk traffic went to Phila, Penna., and some in New Jersey.

I do find that https://www.dairyfoods.com/directories/7376-dairy-plants-usa shows there are, today, 42 milk plants in Penna, and suggest that a look through the 43 plants’ locations may well suggest a location that would have been in business in the era of the photo that started all this.

https://extension.psu.edu/pennsylvania-dairy-plant-and-raw-milk-directory which would not come up the first three times I tried it, might also provide some more insight.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schleigh Mike via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 11:24 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] C&O 40ft steel gondola and a flat with removable milk containers - Renovo PA 1952

Yes, Schuyler, there are cows in Penna. but not many in that neighborhood.

There may have been shipping sources further west and north in McKean and Potter Counties but I have never heard of it producing large bulk shipments.  Port Allegany and Eldred on the Buffalo Line are possibilities but any traffic coming to Renovo via the old P&E from Erie seems very unlikely although there were milk stations over there closer to that town.  Did any ship that far away to the east???  Good question to pursue if interested.

Mike Schleigh in Grove City also found in Penna.

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, 11:10:32 AM EDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

That's pretty likely.  There ARE cows in Penna., you know.

Schuyler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of robert netzlof
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 7:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] C&O 40ft steel gondola and a flat with removable milk containers - Renovo PA 1952

I live not far from Renovo and I'm having trouble understanding what a milk tank car would be doing there. Perhaps it was merely passing through on its way to some place where there were cows?

----- Original Message -----
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io Group Moderators" <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:10:51 PM

Now that's *rich* Pennsy railroading! Which H-subclass on the point, -8?

-Chuck

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:39 PM Claus Schlund \(HGM\) < claus@...> wrote:

> Hi List Members,
>
> A C&O 40ft steel gondola and a flat with removable milk containers -
> Renovo PA 1952
>
> https://digital.library.temple.edu/digital/collection/p16002coll26/id/
> 4012
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Claus Schlund
>
>
>
>
>

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.