Re: Rapido USRA Single Sheath Boxcar announced

mel perry

so they both made slanted and radials
at the same time?, what was the logic?
thanks
;-)
mel perry

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 10:06 AM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 08:30 AM, Dave Parker wrote:
Unfortunately, I am away from my home base and for some reason only have a paper copy there, but there is a short trade-journal piece from ~1920 that enumerates all the hardware specified for the USRA cars.  I am confident that it allowed for either Murphy or Hutchins roofs, and possibly a third option (Chicago-Cleveland maybe?).

That said, I am not sure I have seen a pre-1930 photo of anything but a Murphy roof on both the SS and DS cars.  When you get into the 1930s, however, replacement of the Murphys with Hutchins seems to have been a common practice.  Certainly, many/most of the cars with replacement, metal doors seem to have also gotten Hutchins, at least with the northeastern roads that I tend to collect photos for.
I think one of the problems is with our terminology; when modelers hear "Hutchins" they immediately assume that firm's Dry Ladding roof. However, in the WWI era Murphy, Hutchins, and Chicago-Cleveland all sold similar products, which in HO scale, would look exactly the same.

Here is the Murphy XLA:

The Hutchins offering:

And from Chicago-Cleveland:

Data from the 1922 Car Builder's Cyclopedia.

Dennis Storzek