Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Loads for stock cars

Add to the list:
Canned goods
Onions
Live poultry (in regular stock cars, not poultry cars)
Sand (in barrels)
Oil (in barrels)
Wagons (broken down)
Wagon wheels
Metal pipes
Metal sheets
(most of these are mentioned in my article on "unusual" stock car loads in the January 2021 issue of MRH)

Per the MCBA and ARA loading rules, stock cars could be treated the same as any other house car, and could be loaded with the same goods. So technically, anything conceivably loaded into a boxcar could also be loaded into a stock. And I'm sure that they were (there were a few stock cars with full-height end doors, allowing the loading of cars and trucks).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 10:59:22 AM CDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Commodities Shipped In Livestock Cars

So far I have documented these commodities. I’m sure there were others.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

++++

Bricks

Cabbages

Coal - A lot of coal in stock cars, in the Rocky Mountain States, as late as WWII

Coke - Beehive Oven as late as WWII

Corn Cobs

Dunnage Bulkheads (For boxcars)

Firewood

Freight Car Wheels

Grain (with car lining)

Grain Doors

Hay

Ice - Some photos were posted on the D&RGW Facebook site showing pond ice loading in stock cars in the early 1960s

Lumber

Pipe - Clay

Potatoes - Bagged

Pulpwood