Re: Help identifying a tank car with Westvaco markings

Todd Sullivan

Ben,

It is most likely an ICC 105W300 class tank car of approximately 11,000 gallons capacity.  Similar models in HO are made by Kadee and Atlas.  One other capacity is the 6,000 gallon model made by Broadway Limited.  Both are 'pressure' tank cars, as the chlorine was shipped under pressure as a liquid.  Other tank car experts are welcome to comment on and improve my answer.

PS - there were a number of chemical companies in the Charleston WV area.  I'm more familiar with the companies on the north (NYC) side of the Kanawha River than on the south (C&O) side.

Todd Sullivan