Re: Photo: Wrecked Freight Cars (Undated)

Charlie Vlk

All-

This wreck picture has drawn comments from both the STMFC and EarlyRail groups so please excuse the dual post….

The CB&Q leased in late 1878, then purchased, ten National Steel Tube box cars built under the LaMothe patents.  They also built two cars under license that had railroad improvements…the ill-fated 8300 and 8301.  These cars had underframes and body structure framed with steel tubes and covered with iron sheet, primarily held together with cast and wrought connectors.   LaMothe and his successors had limited sales of cars over a period of approximately 30 years going back to before the Civil War.  While this is predates the STMFC era it is an interesting insight into the attitude of Master Mechanics on the early dawn of the steel car era.

The following is a transcription of a letter from Harry B. Stone (who would play a pivotal role later in the famous Burlington Strike), Superintendent of the Locomotive and Car Department, regarding  a car “in a badly demoralized condition””

CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY RAILROAD.

Office Supt. Loco & Car Depts

Aurora Ill,  November 30th  1880

T.J. Potter Esq.

      Genl Mgr- Chicago

Dear Sir:     I now have at the Aurora Shops tubular car No. 8300, which was in the wreck at Rio, in a badly demoralized condition and which shows much more plainly than I have been able to explain heretofore, the disadvantages of its “spider web” construction.  The next car to it was one of our common wooden cars and which came out of the racket with comparatively small injuries.

   This car is in such bad shape that I am entirely at a loss to know how to repair it, and if left to my own devices should probably tear it down and put it into scrap; as however it is a patent car I would suggest that you notify the patentee, Mr. W. O. Cooke,  Nos. 13 & 15 Park Row, New York City, and ask him if he will not come out and advise with use in regard to its repair.  Before doing anything with the car I shall have a careful and thorough report made and also sketches showing the manner of failure.

Yours truly,

(sgd)    Harry B. Stone

(Car 8300 was eventually stripped and received a body with the same  28’ dimensions but with standard CB&Q wood body details. The other car built under license, 8301, in 1887 received a wood body which had standard CB&Q 34’ box car dimensions.)

The “common wooden” cars were easy to repair and the railroads were well equipped to handle them.  Until lumber in the sizes and species needed became difficult to source and expensive the railroads were reluctant to move to iron and steel cars and to convert the infrastructure to build and maintain them.

Charlie Vlk