Re: Photo: Pickle Car - further question

Eric Hansmann

An answer does depend upon the era. The pickle tank car owner table in David Leider’s book shows the peak of ownership is between 1930 and 1950 with about 150 cars in service across a number of companies. It also depends on where the production facilities are located.

I mentioned Lutz and Schramm in Pittsburgh and found they had other plants in Boston, Bronson, MI, and Sturgis, MI. The Michigan locations may be salting stations that supplied packing plants in Pittsburgh and Boston. L&S had at least eight cars running through the 1950s. They may have been common on the NYC lines connecting Michigan and Massachusetts.

That’s just one example. There might be a few other possibilities. The book has a Midwest focus, so there may be some northeastern operations that escaped David’s research. But it’s a great starting point.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Eric Hansmann <eric@...>
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 11:57 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

David,

I'll have three pickle and food production plants to serve on my future layout with HJ Heinz, Lutz & Schramm, and Cruikshank Brothers. Have you stumbled across details for cars that transported pickles from the field plants to Lutz & Schramm and Cruikshank Brothers in Pittsburgh, Penna.?

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 06/23/2021 9:08 PM David Leider <sooauthor@...> wrote:

Sguire-Dingee was a Chicago company, but had salting stations all over the midwest as w3ell as subsidaries in other parts of the US. Pickle cars of this type were used all over to pick up salted pickles for further processing
David Leider