Re: A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated)

Schuyler Larrabee

Maybe.  Might have been a while since it was last on B&M rails, and even then . . .

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Burn
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 2:01 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated)

Schuyler,

It could be post war but the paint looks reasonable fresh and if it is postwar the herald would be different.

Don Burn

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated)

Dave, I’m looking at the construction methods and materials of that mind building, and I think it may well be into the late 40s.  Post war, I ‘d say.

Eric, thanks for the photoshop work, the picture was near worthless to me otherwise.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 12:49 PM

I massaged the image in Photoshop by adjusting levels and sharpening a bit. See the attached.

It's great to see several gondolas loaded and on the ready track at this coal mine.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/02/2021 9:57 AM Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

Claus and group:

The B&M gon is one of 733 (of the original 1500) that was rebuilt with 4-rib dreadnaught ends in 1933 (as per the late Tim Gilbert) and given the rectangular B&M herald.  The car looks to be in fairly good repair, so I would guess mid-30s or so.

Photos of these cars are rare, and this is the first I have seen of one off-line.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.