Re: Photo: Santa Fe Boxcars At Hills Brothers Coffee Factory (1938)

Bob and Friends,

Interesting that both Santa Fe cars are 50' auto cars. I have attached a 1949+ Sanborn map which sadly does not show the trackage. My best guess is that this was the State Belt Railroad (later San Francisco Belt Railroad) and it approached from the left (real direction south). As you can see from the photo, the Oakland Bay Bridge is somewhat beyond the Marine Corps building to the left. A current view of the buildings is enclosed. The track in the street is the Muni heritage streetcar line.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Santa Fe Boxcars At Hills Brothers Coffee Factory (1938)

Photo from the OpenSFHistory website.

https://opensfhistory.org/Display/wnp14.2714.jpg

Caption:

“View west across Embarcadero to bridge, Hills Brothers Coffee Plant with freight cars alongside.”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA