Re: Car Builder’s Dictionaries

fire5506

Proper Railroad terms and slang, you need to be careful saying whether it's prototype or railfan terminology. Caboose, depending on the railroad it could be a hack, cabin car cab, etc. I worked in the Mechanical dept for 38 years and heard a lot of what is reputed to be railfan/modelers slang used by old heads. Hand hold / grab iron, hold hold in rules and grab iron in day to day use. I've seen grab iron used in manufactures catalogs. Uncoupling lever in rules and cut lever in daily use. Transportation still calls brake valves "triple valves even though triple valves were from the K brake days. I've heard roof walks and running boards used.

Richard