Re: Retired vs. Scrapped?

Tony Thompson

Ken Akerboom wrote:

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.
In the SP car ledgers I have seen, “retired” meant “removed from revenue service.” Some cars were subsequently selected by the MOW people for their use (moving to a different ledger), and some cars were sold “as-is” to short lines, so “retired” did not mean demolished.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com