Re: Retired vs. Scrapped?

Daniel A. Mitchell

The Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, Michigan has a 3’ gauge D&RGW “short” caboose, #0526 that was officially “retired” by the D&RGW in the 1950’s, removed from the books, and was presumed scrapped for many years. But, instead it fell through a knothole in the records, and we have it, now restored. D&RGW fans are still confused. It now has good company since HRR also has K-27 #464, a good match for it. How that happened is a bit of a story, but don’t believe everything “in the books” … even good references can be wrong.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Jul 5, 2021, at 2:39 PM, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

The answer might be that there was little market for scrap during the Depression, At the same time, retiring unneeded
equipment to get it off the books may have had advantages.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM akerboomk <ken-akerboom@...> wrote:
Looking thru the B&M car disposal records (coming, eventually, to the web site), one thing I noticed...

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.

--
Ken Akerboom