Re: Photo: Pickle Car - further question

John Barry

Eric,

I found the List of Assigned Reporting Marks of Private Car Companies in the Editorial Section immediately following the list of marks assigned to Railroads.  It begins on page 1006 of the Oct 43 and Oct 44 issues page 712 of the Jan 53 issue.  I was mistaken about the glyph, it is the Maltese cross.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:59:51 PM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

John,

I checked through my October 1926 ORER and to not see this listing. In what ORER have you seen this? Also, where would it be? After the private lines listing? In the back near the editorial content?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Barry
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 3:18 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Pickle Car - further question

Eric,

Check the listing of reporting marks in the back of your ORERs that are missing the L&S cars.  Not all private car owners listings appeared in every ORER.  When a company had cars but wasn't listed in that edition, there was a mark like the dagger symbol indicating such.  I discovered that with True's Oil Company, TOCX, which had the same 3 compartment car forever, but it only showed up in half of the ORERs I checked.   

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 03:49:39 PM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Thank you, David. I caught up with the details in your book. I am focused on 1926 so both companies would be independent.

The ownership table on page 132 of your book indicates ten Lutz & Schramm cars in December 1926, but I do not see a listing for L&S in the October 1926 or May 1925 ORERs. I don’t understand why there isn’t a listing in either ORER. I see L&S in the June 1917 ORER, but not in the two issues I have from the mid-1920s.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Leider
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 10:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Pickle Car - further question

Lutz & Schramm was purchased by Squire-Dingee in 1937, although it kept its name. At one time they had 14 cars.  There is a photo in my pickle book showing a L&S car new in 1946. It was built by the Thrall Car company. 
They purchased Cruikshank Brothers in 1952. They had 3 cars at one time. Both used the typical 4 vat cars. Heinz also had 4 vat cars, but most were the enclosed type.
Hope this helps
David Leider

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.