Re: ERIE ds boxcar in 1929

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

HI Ed and List Members,

Ed wrote: "there may have been a few exceptions but almost all Erie double sheathed box cars were 36 ft". Thanks Ed for the additional info.
Ed's remark was in response to my prior post on this topic, a portion of which is shown in bold below...

ERIE ds boxcar in 1929

Unfortunately, the reporting marks cannot be seen, neither on the car side not the car end. Looks to be a 36ft car.

The paint looks to be in great shape, perhaps recently repainted.

I did a little further detective work on this. The above (road number unknown) ERIE car appears to be nearly identical to the car ERIE 101549 seen in this 1928  image...

I can see some minor vairiances in the corner metal bracings - perhaps others who are better at playing hocus-focus can find other deltas that I missed. Otherwise, it appears to be spot on. ERIE 101549 was built in 1902, rebuilt 1920s (cannot quite discern the last digit), reweighed 1926. If this all is correct (big IF), that places the car in series 100000-101999 35ft 8 1/2in IL 60000 lb, with only 94 cars remaining in the Dec 1930 ORER

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

there may have been a few exceptions but almost all Erie double sheathed box cars were 36 ft.