Remembering Larry Jackman with fondness

Dave Nelson

I was cleaning out some old papers and came upon a hardcopy of something Larry Wrote in 2007.  Here it is

Yes the Wizard of OZ was in black and white until she got to OZ. Then it changed to color. That was because it was filmed in Kansas during the depression and we were so poor that we could not afford color. I can remember standing on the KS/MO line and seeing all that color in MO and black and white on our side. We did not get color until after WWII because they needed it for the war effort.
We have kept a section of ground in the NW corner of the state in black and white just to remind us of how tough it was back then. A section is one mile by one mile.
In fact the land grant RRs got every other section. A section on the left side and then the next section on the right and so on.
We were so poor we had to hunt for food. We had a gun but could not afford any bullets. So we used it as a club. But dad did not like to waste game so before we could club it we had to run a long side and reach down and feel it to see if it was fat enough.
Required freight car comment. It was sure weird watching the trains come across the border and see them loose their color.
I am going back to the wagon boys. These shoes are killing me.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@...