Re: can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail?

W.R.Dixon

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Hi List Members,
About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830 FLAT RAIL BROWN.
I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the metal rail?
Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked, and what didn't work)
Thanks in advance
Claus Schlund