From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Gray
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:26 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ORER lookup help

Richard, WOW! Yes, I conjured that these cars were converted from post war (maybe 1945 or ’46 built), but your information leads to 1954 built  40’ steel Ice Bunker cars (GATX). I have seen the date of 1954, elsewhere,  and was thinking that,that may have been the approximate time conversion, but now you have provided a “smoking gun” to 1959. And, yes, they were cut in-two and stretched and the original swing doors replaced, spliced side panel L-R of the door with a wider plug door, but the remaining “split ends” have the horizontal panel seams! The roof and underframe are spliced and the Ice Hatches sealed.  I believe that the cars at Illinois may have arrived in about 1971. The Mad River & NKP in Bellevue, OH has a car. But, it was acquired in 1980, is painted Yellow with Black ends and had a URTX reporting mark and number (a later retirement?). A real guess as to the original 250xx that this car carried.  Again to ALL, many great thanks and appreciations!

-          Jeff Gray

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...>

Date: 7/23/21 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)

The SRLX cars are listed in the GATX area of the ORER.

In 1966 I see

With these note a few pages later

There are a couple of these cars at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Steve Hile