Re: ORER lookup help

Steve and Barb Hile

A question of clarification:

Swift had (from GAT) a small number of 40’ steel reefers (1949, I think) and a much larger group of 36 steel reefers (1954).

As the most modern of the Swift fleet, I would assume it less likely that either of these were rebuilding candidates.

I would speculate that the rebuilds came from elsewhere in the GAT fleet.  I wonder where?

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Gray
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:26 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ORER lookup help

Richard, WOW! Yes, I conjured that these cars were converted from post war (maybe 1945 or ’46 built), but your information leads to 1954 built  40’ steel Ice Bunker cars (GATX). I have seen the date of 1954, elsewhere,  and was thinking that,that may have been the approximate time conversion, but now you have provided a “smoking gun” to 1959. And, yes, they were cut in-two and stretched and the original swing doors replaced, spliced side panel L-R of the door with a wider plug door, but the remaining “split ends” have the horizontal panel seams! The roof and underframe are spliced and the Ice Hatches sealed.  I believe that the cars at Illinois may have arrived in about 1971. The Mad River & NKP in Bellevue, OH has a car. But, it was acquired in 1980, is painted Yellow with Black ends and had a URTX reporting mark and number (a later retirement?). A real guess as to the original 250xx that this car carried.  Again to ALL, many great thanks and appreciations!

-          Jeff Gray

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:51 PM

I believe the 1954 built dates come from the cars these cars were converted from. Those cars, from the 15000 series, were built in 1954. I believe the lengthening by splicing in a center section, and the mechanization, occurred in 1959.

I have never seen a photo of the 25000 cars in anything but silver paint. This tends to support the later built/conversion date. The fact that they are not in the ORER by 1/59 also supports this.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Jul 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you Steve, this is a big help. Yes, Illini  has 3 cars with numbers <25050 and United in NJ also has one 25048. So, every piece on the puzzle helps. The photos I have found are Silver paint scheme. These cars are from about 1954. Does anyone know when the Swift Red scheme became Silver?  And/or were these cars always silver scheme? Again, thanks to everyone.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

Date: 7/23/21 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)

The SRLX cars are listed in the GATX area of the ORER.

In 1966 I see

With these note a few pages later

There are a couple of these cars at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:06 PM

I have the 7/56, 1/58, and 1/59 ORERs and do not find SRLX 25000 series in any of them.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.