Re: InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)

Tony Thompson

Allen Cain wrote:

Help me out here. I thought that “billboard” paint schemes where outlawed well before the 1953 date on this car. If I am mistaken, please educate me.
Always remember that the primary issue addressed by the “ban” on billboard schemes was the provision by the leasing company of free advertising paint schemes for their lessees. And advertising in general, meaning posters or placards attached to cars by shippers, was banned early in the 20th century. As long as the lessee or car owner advertised THEMSELVES, for example a billboard-sized word like “HORMEL,” that was okay.

Tony Thompson
tony@...