Billboard Painting Prohibition. Was InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)

Guy Wilber

Gary Ray wrote:

“Does anyone know the date of the banning? Also, how long were billboard cars allowed to run - was it just until they needed repainting? If memory serves me right, that would be about 7 years.”

The ICC’s (I & S Docket No. 3887) was decided on July 2, 1934. The regulations of the decision were published within Dearborn’s Perishable Protective Tariff, effective January 1, 1935.

Rule 36 of the tariff prohibited advertising on newly constructed refrigerator cars or those repainted after January 1, 1935.

Effective January 1, 1937, no refrigerator car bearing advertisements of any shipper, consignee or product was to be accepted in Interchange or handled locally on any railroad.

In 1936 The AAR’s Arbitration Committee added a new paragraph (6) to section (r) of Rule 3:

Refrigerator cars bearing advertisements of any shipper, consignee or product will not be accepted, effective January 1, 1937. In Interchange.

The effective date was extended to April 1, 1937.

The AAR’s Report of The Car Service Division (November 19, 1937) contained the following statement: “The removal of advertising of shipper, consignee, or product from refrigerator cars was accomplished as of April 1, 1937, in accordance with the arranged program.”

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada