Re: InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

Chris Sawicki

Having worked on transferring US manufacturing to China (against my wishes), ownership of the injection molds does not guarantee you can reclaim and transfer back out of the country. China, in general can make it difficult or impossible with regulations, fees, customs and other barriers. China is very friendly and cooperative when they see an ongoing business relationship. But can be destructive otherwise. And they do not maintain your owned tooling to maximize its life.

In many business cases the only way to reshore back to the US is to start over, build new tooling. Having design and manufacturing process knowledge is just as important. The hobby, toy, electronics industries in the US probably got hit harder than most and with that the US lost a lot of small job shops, toolmakers, injection molders-our manufacturing infrastructure.

Chris Sawicki

On Monday, July 26, 2021, 12:03:24 PM CDT, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Depends on who owns the molds, though.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

But the molds and other tooling for existing models are in China.  May be hard to move that production.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

(BTW, and completely OT, it is raining here, in July!)