Re: InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

True!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 12:44 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

Yes, but I can just see an American mold owner trying to get their molds back from a Chinese factory, especially in our current political conditions.  Lots of lawyers and lots of years, with the Chinese factory refusing to produce anything.

Jim

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 10:03 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

Depends on who owns the molds, though.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

But the molds and other tooling for existing models are in China.  May be hard to move that production.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

(BTW, and completely OT, it is raining here, in July!)

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve SANDIFER
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 9:07 AM

I do know that Vietnam is involved in production for some manufacturers. I think some are looking elsewhere due to the political situation with China.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 8:56 AM

Being an importer means all you need is money. No factory, employees, regulations, etc to worry about.
China is incredibly successful because they offer "one stop shopping" from design to production, and this
has been a boon to low-headcount importers who can simply focus on high value design and art and sales.
When most of us were much younger this is how brass models were made. Same strategy, new materials
now.

Have Accurail and Bowser out-sourced their injection molding too? I recall that some places have tried
other countries besides China - Atlas and Walthers come to mind - Brazil perhaps? And I think I read that
Moloco has tried Vietnam.

Kadee is the amazing exception. But it ain't easy - just ask Sam Clarke. :-\

Tim O'Connor

On 7/25/2021 6:20 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

Charlie Vlk wrote:

If somebody wanted to go through the hassle of setting up a full-blown factory here in the US, talk to Accurail, Bowser, Con-Cor, Atlas, Inter-Mountain, or any other of the companies that eventually had to partially or completely give in to overseas production or assembly.   

Or maybe you would want to talk to Kadee instead. C’mon, Charlie. 

Tony Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.