Re: InterMountain HO Scale Two-Bay Hoppers (Re-Release)-now Why Aren't There Production Kits?

Randy Hammill

From what I understand, Lionel tried Mexico and it nearly bankrupted them. I don’t have any hard information to support that claim,

As somebody who is trying to start our own thing, we have to eliminate as many variables as possible. Which means sticking with one of several factories in China, depending on the direction we are able to go. China not only has “one-stop shopping” but also a base of workers that have already produced model trains. It’s a known quantity. Moving to another country is basically starting from scratch. Something a company like Samsung can afford to do (which recently opened some huge facilities in Vietnam). So it will take a company or two to get the ball rolling to really move a significant amount of production elsewhere.

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com