Re: URTX/Milwaukee Road Reefer General Arrangement Drawings

ROGER HINMAN

I believe the Pfaulder milk tank cars had cork as insulation wrapped around the enameled tanks, I was inside the car at the MOT St Louis and can’t remember if there was insulation on the walls also; ; the URTX car had insulation on the walls like a std refrigerator except more of it.

Roger Hinman

On Jul 30, 2021, at 9:51 PM, Dennis Storzek <dennis@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 06:14 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
I have only seen photos of these reefers in freight trains. My notes indicate they were heavily insulated,
perhaps for frozen food products? I agree they are very similar to the Pfaudler cars.
Yeah, I was thinking that they didn't look like they ever had steam lines, nor buffers, but that separate plate across the bottom of the end could have been a patch, so lack of buffers was inconclusive.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how much insulation the Pfaudler milk cars had. General American may have found it easier to adapt this body style to extra insulation as opposed to the standard reefer construction.

Dennis Storzek