Re: Car Cement on Roofs

Todd Horton

I had a conversation with Ed this weekend about this very topic on Pullman Standard cars. One thing Ed pointed out to me was the cost of car cement vs paint. Paint was $2.10ish a gallon, car cement was $.38 per gallon in the mid to late 50's.

If a buyer (the railroad) wanted something other than the standard PS package they had to pay extra for it.

Todd Horton

On Sunday, August 1, 2021, 08:14:50 PM EDT, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I have several questions about use of car cement on freight car roofs. Was it applied directly to galvanized roofs or were roofs painted before application of car cement? Were running boards and latitudinals unpainted, painted, or covered with car cement? Are there railroad specific variations on the theme?

The car under construction is a WAB 88200 series boxcar. Ed Hawkins posted the paint specs., but they are silent about running boards, and I don’t know anything about the Wabash.

Nelson Moyer