Re: URTX/Milwaukee Road Reefer General Arrangement Drawings

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 03:53 PM, Jack Mullen wrote:
Dennis, I agree that there seems to be a shared design here, but perhaps the lineage runs the other way. If my memory serves, all of the steel 50' Pfaudler cars were built postwar. The reefer in question and the similar (phase 2?) near copies built a couple years later were prewar, 1930-40 I think.
Jack,

Something piqued my memory, but I can't find a citation, that there was a prewar batch of steel bodied Pfaudler cars, IIRC 40' cars, that had the same roof and formed steel side plate, but a more conventional underframe with structural steel side sills, to which the side sheets were riveted in the same fashion as the X29 and ARA variant. I suspect the use of the same pressing for a side sill of the high insulated reefers saved a lot of weight, partially making up for the increased weight of the deeper car posts, and also made their attachment easier.

Dennis StorzekĀ