Re: image of a bulk oil dealership

A Clemens

Here's another view of this industry.
Described as " Terminal No. 4 -St. John's -Portland, OR" with no definitive date.

Al

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 3:13 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Claus Schlund wrote:

Nice image of a bulk oil dealership. Served by - you guessed it - steam era freight cars. Any thoughts regarding the date? The tank car, rail mounted crane, and the steel gons in the ditant background make me think 1920.

I note the use of wooden barrels at the oil dealership - I've never seen this before. Instead I always see steel barrels (drums?) even in the pre-1920 era.

Claus, what makes you think it’s a bulk oil dealership? The tanks are awfully big compared to the many, many photos I have seen of such dealerships in the steam era. The numerous wood barrels would also seem odd in that context.

Tony Thompson