Re: image of a bulk oil dealership

Scott H. Haycock

Virginia Beach in on the original Norfolk Southern Railway, my railroad of interest for layout and model building. I'm going to see what I can find out about this facility as a possible source for loads for my steam era tank cars.

If anyone else is looking into it, contact me off list @ shhaycockATcomcastDOTcom.

This thread has taught me the power of group research, and how quickly tons of info can surface in a short time with help!

Scott Haycock
ent

On 08/08/2021 12:38 PM Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

A large molasses tank in Norfolk, Virginia, was converted into a restaurant. Here is a link that includes a photo of the tank before its renovation:

Ken Montero
On 08/08/2021 1:51 PM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Dave/all,

  Molasses
  It the 30's thru the 50's a large percentage of homes/apts/etc. had a jar of
molasses for cooking.  If you take the population of Oregon and the southern
third of so of Washington and divide it by - let's be generous and use 5 people
per household - and then also estimate how many jars per year were used (1.5 - 2)
... it adds up very quickly.  Larger families/households in that era would have
done a lot more home food preparation and so might have used a lot more
jars of molasses.
  I would think that molasses would be used more for canned foods (anything
needing a sweetener would be a candidate but most assuredly apple butter)
than for cattle feed ... in the 30's.

  Vegetable oils would probably account for more then 66% of the storage
capacity (i.e. use relative to molasses).  Probably up to 80 or even 90?

  Barrels would be for relatively small orders - I'm thinking 10 at a time at
most.  That can still use up all of the wood barrels in the photo.  Since there
are so many it is possible/likely that some/all of them are stored for "the
next ship taking barrels"?
                                                                                                - Jim