Re: Where does the ‘Empty Return’ Stencils go on n an SP SS boxcar?

Rich C

The photos that were attached are actually A-50-6's converted to hogfuel cars. They are the 50' variety. I know the A-50-4's were also so converted. This would make a fairly simple kitbash of a Funaro kit. Since this is a flat kit, build it without the roof and cobble up 4 "flapper" type side doors. I also believe the SP did the same to their 40' single SS boxcar types (B-50-13 thru 16)

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 09:54:37 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

> Charlie Duckworth wrote:
>
> I’m decaling the Speedwitch SP A-50-4 and plan to use it going to a lumber yard on the layout.  The decals have a white backed decals for returning the empty car to Eugene.  I’ve looked through several books but can’t find an example on where it goes on the car.  One side is angled so I assume it’s against a ‘Z’ brace.

These kinds of painted assignment legends were usually near the door on the left. One SP employee told me that sometimes they were even taken into account in car movements <g>
Many sorts of cars that could be used for lumber were marked “return to Eugene” so this can be quite a general usage, especially for a double-door car, convenient for lumber loading.

Tony Thompson
tony@...