Re: looking for StLB&M box car photo

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Ed ! The Athearn blue box car has 5/5 ends, but the decal number sheet starts with 20650.
This one sure isn't going to win any RPM contests. :-D:-P

Tim O'Connor

On 8/28/2021 5:30 PM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Aug 28, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I have an MPHS kit for a 50 foot all steel, double door box car with number decals,
but no other information. I assume there is such a prototype (although probably not this
Athearn blue box model), and I'd like to number it accurately. :-)

StLB&M = St Louis Brownsville & Mexico

Tim,
StLB&M had two series of steel 50’-6” double-door box/auto cars.

1. 20600-20649, built 10-45, ACF lot 2762, 10’-6” IH, 15’-1” clear door openings, Superior 7-panel doors, 5-5 round-corner Dreadnaught ends, Murphy roof, riveted sides 5 to left of door, 8 to right of door, Ajax hand brake, Apex running boards & brake step.

2. 20650-20699, built 12-47, MP DeSoto shops, 10’-6” IH, 15’-0” clear door openings, Youngstown doors of the 1947 design, 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught ends, Murphy roof, riveted sides 4 to left of door, 6 to right of door, Ajax hand brake, Apex running boards & brake step.

Depending on your plans for the model, there are more details that I can provide if they are of interest.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Sterling, Massachusetts