Re: Speedwitch SP A-50-4 finished

Ken Roth

As to the question of loads in A-50-4 SP automobile cars, I would certainly agree with Ken Adams about the use of these cars in lumber service.  I have conductor's wheel reports from 1950 on the Siskiyou line from Ashland to Dunsmuir and trains headed railroad west are overwhelmingly loads of lumber and trains headed east are virtually all empty cars with many SP automobile cars of various classes as well as foreign road cars destined for loading lumber in the Rogue River valley.  HOWEVER, my favorite load for an SP A-50-4 car (not rebuilt like the Speedwitch model) is prunes!  Yes prunes.  See photo on page 147 of Southern Pacific in Oregon Pictorial by Dill and Austin.  It shows the car being loaded with prunes from a PMT pup trailer.  This inspired me to do a kitbash of an F&C A-50-5 into the A-50-4 car in this photo.

Ken Roth