Re: ACF Type 11 Tankcar

Steve and Barb Hile

Another big challenge with the English language includes our use of different words for similar things.  Here it is Class and Type.

Chris quoted from a document in an earlier post.  MCB, later ARA and then ICC specifications differentiated between “Classes” of tank cars.

ACF used the word “Type” together with a year to designate significant design changes in its tank cars, although construction of Types often overlapped.  So, the F&C kit is an MCB/ARA Class II AND an ACF Type 11, while the P2k car is a an ARA Class III and an ACF Type 21.

To further challenge us, UTLX referred to their designs as “Classes.”  So, their Class X and Class V cars were MCB/ARA Class II.  To meet the ARA Class III specs (to which they were a party in the creation) UTLX created their Class X-3 cars, whose design evolved over the next 20 or so years.

I am not sure whether the Type+Year designations we use for General American tank car designs come from the company or us modelers.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Barkan
Sent: Monday, September 6, 2021 2:55 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ACF Type 11 Tankcar

Thanks Tim.  I just now saw Eric's message above about this as well.  If it was built in the interval 1903 - 1917 then it is an ARA Type II.  If the ACF designation "11" reflects, built in 1911 then by definition, it was both a Type 11 and a Type II. :-)

I have not seen the photos that have it stenciled as a Type III, if you, or Eric or anyone wishes to post them, I'd like seeing them.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.