Re: Preserving Historical Media

Brian Rochon

In addition to the SRHA, the B&O Railroad Historical Society also has a permanent archives building and significant document collections.  A team of 12-15 volunteers inventories, scans and archives the collection every Thursday.  We typically save our scanned documents, including photos, maps, drawings and other documents, as .tif files.  From Google:

TIF is an image format file for high-quality graphics. TIF files are also called .TIFF, which stands for “Tagged Image Format File.” TIF files were created in 1986 as a file format for scanned images in an attempt to get all companies to use one standard file format instead of multiple.”

We use PastPerfect as our archiving software to record all of the metadata (who, what, where, when, etc.) for an image and then link the scanned image to the archive.  Theoretically, we will never need to touch the original after this process.  PastPerfect is used by many museums, libraries, and historical societies throughout the country.

Although we have scanned and catalogued over 15,000 documents, we estimate that we have over 100,000 photos, maps and drawings that are not yet scanned and catalogued.  There are several times that number of company documents in the basement.  At least we have job security!

The Society receives donations of collections on a regular basis.   Most recently we received J. David Ingles B&O collection.  On the other hand, we know of several B&O collectors who have passed away and had their families dispose of the collections in whatever manner that they chose.  Several appear to be lost forever.

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring, MD