Re: Preserving Historical Media

Jerry Michels

Tony, you wrote: "And though it does appear that such formats as TIFF and PDF are holding up -- so far — they may well be superseded in the future. Obviously any archive has to stay on top of such issues and be proactive about changing."  I agree wholeheartedly. There is no doubt that curation is of utmost importance.  However, I do not share the current worry that media and file types used today will become useless overnight.  I have been knocking around computers since 1975 or so and there has always been adequate time to change media and file types to new formats.  Heck, I have txt files from the 1980s that I can still access.  They were originally on 8 1/2 'floppy' disks! But I've curated them well and have them as PDF files.  I will keep an eye out for the change to .nano!

However, I think the real danger is not media or file types changing or becoming degraded, but originals ending up lost in landfills like so many that were dumped by the railroads themselves. Let's improve the material getting out to the public, then worry about the media it is stored upon.  I know lots and lots of ART history has been lost forever.

Jerry Michels