Re: Reefer Load Of Fish

Philip Dove

Looking how smoothly the banner crosses the door and appears to have no thickness on the end I wonder if the picture is a photographers paste up, and the banner and the car never even met each other.. Also is the perspective of the prices quite right?

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 19:11, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
> Bob Chaparro wrote:
>
> Reefer Load Of Fish
> Photo courtesy of Barry Sell.
> He commented:
> “Tiedtke's Department Store, Toledo, Ohio [approximately 1950]
> A photo of a refrigerated railcar advertising Tiedtke's Carload Fish Sale. The department store was located at the corner of Adams and Summit Streets in Toledo, Ohio.”

Two points. First, the banner would not have been allowed in transit, so was obviously applied in place, to publicize the sale. Second, there is no reason to believe the reefer shown necessarily brought the fish for a “carload” sale. It just supports the banner.

Tony Thompson
tony@...